As an electric guitar teacher, i am frequently asked which type of electric guitar you ought to focus on, electric or acoustic? Here’s a rundown of this pros and cons of every and just how your final decision ought to be created.
Neither particular electric guitar is “better” compared to various other. They have been merely different variations of the same instrument. Both have six strings consequently they are tuned exactly the same way. Therefore, on the surface, both kinds of electric guitar tend to be played the exact same method.
Here’s some of the primary suggestions to contemplate to make your decision…
1. what sort of songs would you like to play? If you are very thinking about demise steel, punk, and/or like, then you’ll want to go with electric. If you should be an admirer of traditional, delta blues, country, etc, then you’ll definitely positively wish begin with classical guitar.
2. in which can you such as your difficulty? Definitely about any of it, electric guitar is a somewhat more difficult instrument considering a few factors we’ll talk about the following. If you’re the kind of person who prefer to have the hard parts straightened out and go on it simple later on, begin acoustic. In the event that you’d instead go easy in the beginning and work your path into more difficult things, focus on electric.
– Builds better hand energy
– stimulates better tone because you’re not being aided by technology
– Thicker strings could be more difficult on your fingers and hands before you build-up strength and callouses
– While rather peaceful, it can not be played quietly (a problem for apartment dwellers)
– Lighter strings tend to be much easier on your own hands and fingers at first
– Can be played silently in case your amp has a headphone jack
– Not as much hand strength needed
– going to acoustic after ward could be harder while youwill need to increase hand strength
– Reliance on distortion and effects can make for sloppy strategy
– Need to learn much more muting ways to cope with amplified sound
For myself, we began on electric guitar (a terrible, hard to play one at that) and relocated to electric later on. I constantly felt that served me personally very well. The transition from acoustic to electric was rather easy. Going others means, from electric to acoustic is a little more difficult simply because hand power issues being comfortable with the bigger human anatomy.
For my pupils I also advise you start with acoustic. Even if you do begin with electric, be sure to exercise without distortion and results. Those can mask countless careless playing and you should miss out the issues should-be correcting. But, naturally, if it is time for you to rock down, go for it!
So the decision of whether to focus on acoustic or guitar depends on your aims as a person and the types of student you may be. My advice is beginning with electric guitar, your own goals ought to be the deciding element.